Ferdinand Nwaigbo is a bona fide priest of the Awka Diocese of the Catholic Church. He was ordained priest on 1 August, 1987. Nwaigbo is a professor of systematic Theology and Social Doctrine of the Church at CIWA.
He is currently the HOD, Systematic Theology at CIWA.
Rev. Fr. Prof. Ferdinand Nwaigbo is a Catholic clergy, a bona fide priest of Awka Diocese, Nigeria. He studied Catholic theology at the Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu and was ordained priest on the 1st August, 1987, at St. Monica’s Catholic Church, Ogbunka, Anambra State Nigeria.
After the priestly ordination, he had his post-graduate studies at the Jesuit Institute of Theology (Sankt Georgen) in Frankfurt from 1990 to 1992, where he absorbed a Licentiate in Sacred Theology. He did his doctoral studies at the University of Bamberg from 1992 to July 26 1995, with a First Class Honour and an award of Brenner Preis of the best student of the University of Bamberg in Systematic Theology.
After his studies in Bamberg, he worked as an Administrator of St. Joseph’s Parish in Weisendorf, Germany from 1995 to 1997. From 1997 to 1998, he served as an Assistant Parish Priest at St. Charles’ Catholic Church, Achina, Awka Diocese, Anambra State Nigeria.
On 2nd February 1998, he was engaged as a part-time lecturer at the Catholic Institute of West Africa, Port Harcourt. He became a full-time lecturer and a member of staff of the Catholic Institute of West Africa, in October 1998. He had been lecturing on systematic theology and the social doctrine of the Church in the Institute (October 1998 – May 2016), with eighteen years of teaching experience.
He had authored four books and over eighty articles in systematic theology, many of which were linked explicitly to the Trinity, Christology, Pneumatology, Mariology, Church and Family and on contextual issues related to science and religion and the Church’s evangelizing mission in Africa.
In these eighteen years of service in CIWA, he had held various offices, academic posts and had made some relevant contributions to the life of the Institute. Currently, he is the Head of Department of Systematic Theology and Social Doctrine of the Church. He served as Head of the Department for the past ten years (2005 – 2016).
He had helped in drafting some of the landmark documents of CIWA: (a) Self-Evaluation Report (SER) of the Catholic Institute of West Africa, which was presented to the African Catholic Universities Quality Agency, 2011 (b) academic programme for the Department of Spirituality in CIWA, 2007 (c) Academic Programme for BTh in CIWA, 2007 (d) Revision of CIWA Conditions of Service in 2009.
He was the Editor-in-Chief of the Global Journal of Humanities(GJH), University of Calabar (UNICAL), Cross River State from 2004 till 2008 and the Editor-in-Chief of the Proceedings of CIWA Theology Week from 6th January 2003 till date. He is a certified member of Association of Catholic Universities and Higher Institutions in Africa and Madagascar (ACUHIAM), Bamberger Theologische Rheihe(BTR) and Catholic Theological Association of Nigeria (CATHAN).
In accordance with the Guidelines for the Appointment and Promotion of Academic Staff of CIWA, which was approved by the Governing Council in 2010, he was promoted to the rank of Professor with the mandate of the 66th CIWA Governing Council, under the Chairmanship of Most Rev. Joseph Bagobiri, the Bishop of Kafanchan Diocese, on November 4, 2011.
He headed the TECHNICAL COMMITTEE FOR THE MOVEMENT OF VERITAS UNIVERSITY TO ABUJA (TECMOVU). This mission spelt out his vision for the Catholic Institute of West Africa – Vision in Mission. With courage and conviction, CIWA will be moved to an ultra modern University and a centre of learning in West African Sub-region. My vision in mission of CIWA is articulated in my recent publication:
"CATHOLIC UNIVERSITIES IN AFRICA IN SEARCH FOR THE LIGHT WHICH COMES FROM TRUTH".
My three referees are (1) Most Rev. Paulinus Ezeokafor (2) Most Rev. Joseph Bagobiri and (3) a CIWA Alumnus, Most Rev. Bulus Dauwa Johanna, Vicar Apostolic of Kontagora.
Thanking you for your generous contributions to the life of the Institute, and I am looking forward to seeing your immediate replies.
Baccalaureate in Sacred Theology with Second Class Upper, at Bigard Memorial Seminary Enugu. Licentiate from Sankt Georgen, Frankfurt with Second Class Upper. Doctorate in Systematic Theology from the University of Bamberg, Germany with First Class Honour.
A Professor in Systematic Theology, since
November 2011. Sixteen years of teaching experience in CIWA (February 1998 – July 2014). Assistant Lecturer to Lecturer II - 3 years, Lecturer II to Lecturer I – 4 years, Lecturer I to Senior Lecturer – 3 years, Senior Lecturer to Associate Professor – 3 years, Associate Professor to Professor – 3 years.
Coordinator for the BTh Programme from 1999- 2000, Head of Department of Systematic Theology from 2005 to 2014, Editor-in-Chief of Global Journal of Humanities of the University of Calabar from 2004 to 2008 and Editor-in-Chief of CIWA Theology Week Proceedings from 2003 till date. Presently, I am heading the TECHNICAL COMMITTEE FOR THE MOVEMENT OF VERITAS UNIVERSITY TO ABUJA (TECMOVU).
Authored four books and seventy seven articles.
To make CIWA a seat of knowledge for critical development of human persons and individuals, institutions and nations.
Academic Qualifications and Degrees:
(i) Secondary Education:
Immaculate Conception Seminary, Umuahia, 1976- 1979
(ii) Tertiary Education:
(1) Spiritan School of Philosophy, Isienu Nsukka, 1980-1983.
(2) Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu, 1983-1987.
(3) Jesuit’s Post Graduate Institute of Theology and Philosophy, Sankt Georgen, Frankfurt, Germany 1990-1992.
(4) Otto Friedrich University, Bamberg, Germany - Doctorate
in Systematic Theology - 1992-1995.
(1) First Division in School Certificate 1979.
(2) First Division in Philosophy 1983.
(3) Magna Cum Laude: Baccalaureum in SacraTheologia (BTH) Rome - Second Class Upper at Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu Nigeria, 1987. Magna Cum Laude: Licentia in Sacra
Theologia (STL), Second Class Upper at Sankt Georgen, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, 1992.
Summa Cum Laude Probatus: Summum in Sacra
Theologia (PhD), First Class Honors at the University of Bamberg, 1995.
(iv) Academic Awards:
(1) Friedrich Brenner Preis – An Award of Otto-Friedrich Universitaet Bamberg in 1995
(2) Global Journal Award 2002 of Global Journal of Humanity (GJH), University of Calabar.
(1) Assistant to Prof. George Kraus, at the Univervity of Bamberg, Germany 1995-1997.
(2) Part-time Lecturer in CIWA, in Second Semester 1997/1998 (February 2nd – July 31st 1997/1998).
(3) Full-Time Lecturer in CIWA, from October 1998-
(4) Part-Time Lecturer at St. Joseph’s Seminary, Ikot Ekpene, in Second Semester, 2004.
(1) Lecturer II from October 1988 – 2002
(2) Lecturer I from October 2002 - 2005
(3) Senior Lecturer from October 2005 - 2008
(4) Associate Professor from October 2008 – 2011
(5) Full Professorship in Systematic Theology from October, 2011...
(1) Co-ordinator, CIWA BTH Programme from 1999- 2000
(2) Head of Department of Systematic Theology, CIWA Port Harcourt, 2005 till date
(1) Editor-In-Chief of CIWA Theology Week Proceedings, from 6th January 2003 till date
(2) Editor-In-Chief, Global Journal of Humanities (GJH), University of Calabar, Cross River State 2004-2008.
Membership of Academic and Professional Bodies:
(i) Academic Bodies:
(1) Member of CIWA Faculty Board
(2) Member of CIWA Senate
(3) Member of CIWA Aquinas’ Lecture
(4) Member of CIWA Library Committee
(6) Member of STL Spirituality Committee, CIWA
(7) Member of Committee on the BD Programme in CIWA
(8) Member of CIWA Diploma Board
(9) Chairperson of the Members of CIWA Conditions of Service
(10) Member of Ad-Hoc Committee on the Lineamenta for the Second African Synod on Peace, Justice and Reconciliation
(11) Chairperson of the members of the Committee, who responded to Questions of the Document for the Synod of Bishops in October, 2014, on Evangelization and Challenges of Marriage and Family Life Today.
(12) Member of the Coordinating Committee of African Catholic Universities Quality Agency - ACUQA
(13) Member of the Technical Committee on the Reorganization of the Catholic Universities and Institutes Within RECOWA-CERAO
(14) Member of Proposed CIWA University Project –Implementation Committee
(15) Chairperson for the TECHNICAL COMMITTEE FOR THE MOVEMENT OF VERITAS UNIVERSITY TO ABUJA (TECMOVU)
(ii) Professional Bodies:
(1) Member of BAMBERGER Theologischer Rheihe, Germany.
(2) Member of Catholic Theological Association of Nigeria – CATHAN.
(3) Member of THEOLOGICAL COMMISSION, Awka Diocese.
(4) Member of Editorial Board of Journal of
(iii) Church/Public Services:
(1) Bishop’s Secretary, 1987-1988.
(2) Parish Administrator, St. Joseph’s Parish, Weisendorf in Erlangen, Germany, 1995 - 1997.
(3) Assistant Parish Priest, St. Charles Achina, Anambr State Awka Diocese, 1997-1998.
(iv) Academic Conferences Attended:
(1) Peace and Justice in the World: Bonn, Germany, 1994.
(2) The Nature and Identity of the Church: Nigerian Theological Perspectives, Annual Conference of the Catholic Theological Association of Nigeria (CATHAN), Enugu, Nigeria, April 2001.
(3) Leadership in the Church, Annual Conference of the Catholic Theological Association of Nigeria (CATHAN), St. Joseph’s Seminary, Ikot Ekpene, Nigeria, April 2002.
(4) Women and Freedom in Church and Society, A Conference Organized by the Spiritan School of Theology, Attakwu Enugu, Nigeria, May 2003.
(5) Confiliatory Collaboration Between the Church in Africa and Europe, A National Seminar Organized by the Archdiocese of Owerri, Nigeria, April 2004.
(6) The Nigerian Church and the Second Special Assembly for Africa: The Church in Africa in Service of Reconciliation, Justice and Peace: “You are the Salt of the Earth…You are the Light of the World” (Matthew 5:13-14), Annual Conference of the Catholic Theological Association of Nigeria (CATHAN), Awka Nigeria, April 2008.
(7) Theological Convention in Preparation for the Second
Synod for Africa Organized at the Pilgrimage Centre For Eucharistic Adoration and Special Marian Devotion, Elele, Rivers State, Nigeria, January, 2009.
Workshop Held by African Catholic University Quality Agency in Nairobi, Kenya on 8 December 2009.
Pan African Seminar Organized by Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace – Caritas in Veritate: As a Leaven of Integral Development. A Pan African Conference held in Ghana , September 2010.
(10) THEOLOGY AND LITURGY IN THE LIFE OF THE CHURCH. Annual Conference of the Catholic Theological Association of Nigeria (CATHAN), Ikot Ekpene, 2011.
(11) Regional Conference Organized by Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace on the Theme: AFRICA, “TAKE HEART; RISE, HE IS CALLING”(MK 10:49). From “Caritas in Veritate” to “Africae Munus”: Today’s Challenge for Africa in the Light of the Social Doctrine of the Church, Cotonou, 06 -10 March 2012.
(i)Books: Four Books
(ii)Articles: Seventy Seven Articles
Statement of Vision:
Presently, I am heading the TECHNICAL COMMITTEE FOR THE MOVEMENT OF VERITAS UNIVERSITY TO ABUJA (TECMOVU). This mission spelt out my vision for the Catholic Institute of West Africa – Vision in Mission. With courage and conviction, CIWA will be moved to an ultra modern University and a centre of learning in West African Sub-region. My vision in mission of CIWA is articulated in the enclosed publication: CATHOLIC UNIVERSITIES IN AFRICA IN SEARCH FOR THE LIGHT WHICH COMES FROM TRUTH.
(1) Most Rev. Paulinus Chukwuemeka Ezeokafor
Diocesan Catholic Secretariat
P.M.B 5021 Awka
Anambra State, Nigeria
(2) Most Rev. Joseph Danlami Bagobiri
Kaduna State, Nigeria
E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Phone: 08027943484 or 348055627619
- Most Rev. Bulus Dauwa Johanna
Niger State, Nigeria